- Sponsor and Americanism Essay Contest in our local schools
to promote the spirit of Patriotism. A $250.00 tuition scholarship
is awarded to the student of each school whose essay is
the best in his or her school. In addition, the student
whose essay is selected as the best of all the schools-
is awarded an additional $100.00 savings bond. This bond
is awarded at the end of the parade's ceremonies.
- Veteran members of the Memorial Day Parade committee,
visit local schools and speak about Memorial Day, how to
display the American Flag properly and the facts about how
the Poppy originated and what is done with the money collected
from the veterans distributing Poppies in front of stores,
just prior to Memorial Day. Veterans also talk about their
war time experiences and answer questions from students.
- The committee also provided finacial support to Veteran
organizations for their trips to Veteran Hospitals where
they provide hospitalized veterans with gifts and refreshments
and/or provide entertainment.
- Video tapes of the annual Memorial Day Parade are provided
to the College Point community's nursing homes for viewing
by the residents.
- Boy Scout and other community projects and/or events receive
financial support when their projects benefit the community